The society was founded in 2017 for the public benefit in the municipal borough that comprises of Hastings and St Leonards-On-Sea (hereinafter ‘the Town’) .
- To serve as an umbrella organisation for existing groups in the Town concerned with conservation, heritage and development, in order to improve communication between them, share resources, and assist with and encourage information exchange and publicity.
- To promote enthusiasm for, and pride in, the Town’s history and heritage throughout the community.
- To celebrate the ‘Spirit of Hastings and St Leonards’ and promote its recognition as one of England’s great historic towns.
- To help care for the beauty of the Town’s natural setting.
- To Work with the local authority, planning committees, voluntary organisations, charities, and other groups with similar aims to the Society, in planning for the Town’s future.
In furtherance of these, the society will undertake to
- educate the public in the geography, history, natural history and architecture of the Town, through meetings, lectures, exhibitions and other events.
- publish paper, reports and other literature
- raise funds for local projects, by way of inviting and receiving contributions and donations for set purposes.
- Dr. Deborah Madden (Chair)
- Dr. Chris Joyce (Vice-chair)
- Steven Whitford (Secretary)
- Eve Montgomery (Treasurer)
- Abi Callaghan (Membership Secretary)
- Alan Jeffries (Website Manager)
- Individuals – Open to all individuals who are interested in the purposes of the Society.
- Corporate – Open to all societies, associations, educational institutions or businesses interested in actively supporting the purposes of the Society.